Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A strange world

I went to church with my mother in law on Sun. Mind you, this is not the church of my childhood, small town Presbyterian (which now I refer to as "the church of old people"), nor the Catholic church of my teen years, (Catholic, nuf said, really...) this is the church that I believe could probably self sustain itself in the case of a nuclear war or some other atrocity. It has a natures table and a large bookstore in it. Fascinating, really. Of course the books that jumped out to me were, "Bad Girls of the Bible" and "Really Bad Girls of the Bible'...(bad girls, in the bible?? Really? hmmmmm)...another close check showed no Ann Lamott books, which is surprising, considering that was part of the catelyst for this change in myself...

I browsed further and found the CS Lewis section, where I purchased several books of his, some to read for the first time, others to re-read. Lewis has a way of explaining things to me or rather, writing in a way that speaks to me.

After making my purchases, and filling up my caffiene-o-meter in the coffee shop...I went to the service, and found it rather interesting and intriguing that it was chock full of CS Lewis quotes...in the church newspaper, in the sermon...it got to the point where it was making me uncomfortable lol...even my Mother in law noticed...funny thing, is several other things we talked about before hand seemed to get worked into the sermon...

It was almost like God said, well if the plethera of Lewis quotes arent enough, then here...WHACK...WHACK...
I just shook my head and thought *show off*....
:OP

I have also been trying to read, what I affectionately refer to as "the new fangled bible"...its been a struggle for me, honestly...coming from the Catholic background and the protestant "King James" bibles...Im having a really hard time with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment