Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The New Fangled Bible Part 18

So it had been recommended to me to read The Message. Which was really weird. Its the bible, but not at all like the Catholic Bible. It was cool that the message got across, but I missed some of the traditionalism of the "old bible". So then NIV was recommended. I found I was using my message bible and bumping it against the NIV. Cool thing is, I found one that has both versions in it and also has references and translation POI at the bottom. Its cool and shiny. I like it. If you would have told me that I would be happy about getting a bible 6 months ago. I would have told you, you were smoking crack. And good crack too.

Funny things happen when you start to read the bible. Like Jesus really was a rebel. For real. He hung out with hookers and theives and other unsavories. He fed the hungry and believed in loving people and showing mercy. Hmmmm. Also the Pharasees were royal pains in the asses. Wow. The parallels to some of the more evangelical types and the Pharasees are too similar. I wonder how many people ACTUALLY read thier bibles....? I wonder how many people actually read WHY this was written or that was written or just listen to what Jesus said.

I am still feeling my way around this. I still have a lot of questions. Lots and lots of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment