Friday, March 13, 2009

Ok...I get it already...

Im currently reading "Blue Like Jazz" By Donald Miller. Its taking me forever, because everytime he brings up a subject I have to stop and contemplate it for days. Then go back, re-read it and carry on to the next. Funny thing though, about this book, when I seem to start thinking of something of my own volition, the next subject is about that very topic. For example, I have been thinking about finding a church I can go to that I fit in. First thing this morning, Chris says to me, I heard about a church on the radio that sounds like you would like it. It was public radio. It was interesting. So I have had tihs on my mind all day. Then, I pick up my book. Start to read. Its about finding a church so to speak. The end of the chapter on finding a church Miller gives 3 guidelines, 1. pray to find a church and that God will show you one you like. 2. Actually go to that church. 3. love all the other churches anyway, because God loves them *almost* as much as he loves your church. Ha. That is just one example.

The radio program was kind of about the decline of religion and how percentages have gone up of people that arent religous. It seems to me, we all struggle with the same stuff, really, when it comes to church. I mean, the dogma. It seems like there are two types of people, the dogma tellers and the not so dogma thinkers. The tellers seem to be bossy. The tell and tell and dont listen. Usually, the tellers to me appear as fundamentalists. Funny thing though, God loves them too, just as much as he loves the liberals. Does that surprise you? if your surprised God loves liberals, then your a teller, I think. Because you may be missing the whole point. The thinkers vary. I think there is a whole range of types of thinkers from really liberal to more conservative, although I think the conservatives are rare sightings, like the abominable snowman. I saw a chart of bibles ranging from the most conservative to the most liberal. Fascinating to me there are so many versions. There are versions for the tellers and versions for the thinkers. Versions versions everywhere.

And even though the tellers I meet turn thier noses up at the thinkers, the thinkers are at faiult too. There are a whole slew of thinkers that have been hurt by the tellers. that hurt plants a seed that grows into a tanglted root system and feeds off bad publicity of the church, past experiences, the evil atrocitied commited in the name of Christianity, and every dumb comment made by some wahoo that thinks he knows it all.

I think its hard to love people that you dont like or agree with or trust. Its hard to love people that have hurt you. In some respects I dont think its quite possible to do on your own. at least, not for me. I have been able to overcome some crazy things and thoughts and hurt lately, and i definately had help. Divine help. At first, when I found out I had to love the religous right (and I dont mean moderates, I mean the people I dont agree with and normally dont like) I was perplexed. Ive turned my thinking around though. I think we all need love and accesptance, even know it all republicans that wave thier God banners and whack people with thier bibles.

God wants us to love everyone. Like He does. It sounds easy, but its not. It sounds simple, but its not. Its simple and complex....

And everyone means everyone. Regardless of race, politcal affiliation, etc...
So get to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment