Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I have really learned something about forgiveness. We had a big family broo ha ha go down after my grandfather died. (which would have made him very sad). But my sister really got hurt. My sister is a fabulous person, someone I really admire and love. She really puts herself out there and helps people. She really got hurt in this situation. I was talking to her last night and we were talking about forgiveness. I dind it very interesting that someone who is so "Christian" seems so "anti forgiveness". very much an oxy moron in my opinion. We started talking about it and she quoted from the bible: (will find verse eventually) about God basically not wanting us to be around bad influences...

I told her about the book I just read (AS We Forgive) and if a person can forgive someone that murdered thier entire family, she can forgive whoever has wronged her. I told her it wasnt the EASY thing to do, and I doubt that God wants us to stay around toxic relationships...(based on said bible verse I cant find.)

I said, well Jesus was about forgiving people and loving them. Isnt that the point? Plus, we are fallable too...hence, the entire point of Jesus. Now, the funny thing is, my brother in law was in the background saying "That is BS//blah blah"...Hey this isnt the Gospel of Andee, its in your bible dude...

There are a crap ton of passages about forgiveness in there...

For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
(Psalm 103:11,12)

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
(Isaiah 55:7)

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
(Matthew 5:10-12)

But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
(Matthew 5:44,45)

For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
(Matthew 6:14,15)

But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
(Luke 6:35-37)

Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
--Matthew 1:21, 22
Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
--Luke 17:3

Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
--Colossians 3:13


soooo I think that is clear...no? My sister says, well the bible is full of contradctions...well...I dont really see that as a contradiction. I think when we forgive people, then that allows God to work through us and see them as fallable humans..and see ourselves as fallable humans...I think our very nature is to recoil when hurt, to hide from people that hurt us and people that wrong us, when in essence, we should try really really hard to forgive and love others...
even if its hard...even if it seems impossible...even if we have to pretend to do it until we really FEEL it.

Im not implying that GOd wants us to stay in a toxic situation. But I think those passages are complimentary and not contradictory.

No comments:

Post a Comment