Thursday, August 25, 2011

Reading a book right now (actually reading many books right now) called "How to Practice" by HH the Dalai Lama. So far, I love it.

I am on the Chapter "Morality for Individual Liberation". Morality is the first step to achieving peace of mind and happiness according to the Buddhists. They start off by discussing the 10 nonvirtues (non virtues?):

Physical NonVirtues
Killing, Stealing and Sexual Misconduct. (Okay, so far sounds pretty in line with the 10 (hey, there is that number again!) Commandments)

Verbal NonVirtues
Lying (ok, still OT), divisive talk (hmmmm, perhaps political?), harsh speech (wysiwyg), and senseless chatter (oh crap, Im in trouble on this one, for someone who claims "rambling" as one of thier best qualities)

Mental NonVirtues
Covetousness (OT), harmful intent, and wrong views(whew, well, all MY views are right, so I'm safe there)

The concepts I am getting are self awareness of motivation. The buddists are big into thoughts become words, words become actions....which is true. Just because the thought is manifested in the mind and isn't tangible doesn't make it less real.

*it is not effecient to SEEK in order to avoid difficulty....(hmmm, I wonder if this applies to mental difficulty, because I would like to avoid that...or am I missing the point here...I get the point in the intended example...do what you are called to do, because you are called to do it, not because you are trying to avoid something else.)


more later.........


No comments:

Post a Comment