Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Kiva.org

I am always looking for ways to try to 'give back' to my community (local and global). A few years ago my dad told me about this microfinance company called "Kiva". Basically, you go on thier website and pick a person or group to make a microfinance loan to, and that person pays it back. Then, you get to relend that money to another person or group...and they pay it back...and on and on. While you might be missing out on that tax break that you receive for donating monies/goods to a nonprofit, I have to say, it has been so personally rewarding to see the people work to pay back thier loans and my account fill back up so I can relend to another person.

I highly, highly recommend it. It is a great choice for a person who may not have a lot of money to donate. Your one time donation of 25 dollars could feasibly help 1000s of people over the course of several years.

Check it out! http://www.kiva.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment